Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Being a Professional and Your Hair?

I dyed my hair today. I dyed it brown. I grew up a blonde and have been fighting to keep it light for years. But I’m attending a professional conference in two weeks and I feel like having dark hair will help me to look older and more professional. Unfortunate as it may be, young blondes aren’t exactly embraced in academia.

I never knew that hair was such a tricky subject! Some of my favorite conversations from this afternoon:

From my mom: “Was this something you'd been thinking about or was it the result of over-partying?”
My response: “Over-partying? Really? I promise that I’m not sipping vodka at my desk or even in the salon chair.”

From my sister-in-law: “The hair rules are: Going lighter- use a professional. Going darker- can be done from a box. Another reason us brunettes are so awesome. We're a cheap date.”
My response: "If that’s the case then I love being a brunette!"

From my coworker: Instead of saying, “I like it” he asked, “Do you like it?” which means that he doesn’t like it.

In any case, the point is this: How can you be a professional, stylish, young woman without going over the line? Long hair vs. short hair; blonde vs. brown; heels vs. flats; too much makeup? not enough?

Is it possible to win?

A quick google search shows that this is a very real question for women in the workplace. One of my favorite style blogs, Wardrobe 911, projects a feminine yet professional image. But clothes are expensive! $200 for a skirt or pair of slacks? Impossible for a young professional who is just trying to make rent.

My office is pretty casual, but I still try to make an effort (most days). Equally so, I look ridiculous if I overdress at work when everyone else is wearing jeans and khakis. A fine line.

Despite the hilarious one-liners from my family and friends, I’m going to have to wait and see the response from my boss and from conference attendees (authors, industry professionals, etc.).

I’m asking for respect despite my age. If the color of my hair is one step closer to that professional acknowledgment then I’m willing to make the sacrifice.


1 comment:

  1. I can't for the life of me remember the name, but there's a blog I read occasionally (only when a link shows up on twitter) about twentysomething women that deals with having too many choices or something like that. Anyway, a particular post discussed the problem we have with teenager vs. adult; for example, long hair means young, short means adult, but we agonize over whether we want to be young or old. How do we look professional and "old enough" to be taken seriously without losing our personality, without abandoning our youth too soon?

    I have a lot more freedom than most people do; snowpants and beanies are considered acceptable workplace attire around here, and the only thing I officially can't do to my hair is dye it a color not found in nature. Still, I'm never sure how I want to project myself, which is probably why, as I was told last night by a [male] co-worker, I look different every day.

    Incidentally, I went blond from a box, but since my little sister did it for me, I consider it acceptable :D

    ReplyDelete