Monday, December 13, 2010

Style Assessment

Last week I went for a Style Assessment with local consultant, Milena Joy.

I've been wanting to work with a style consultant for a while now. If you're plumbing is broken, you hire a plumber. If your teeth need cleaning, you go to the dentist. If you need help getting in shape, you hire a trainer. A stylist, for me, falls within this realm. I need help.

I'm horrible at shopping. I like new things, but I hate the process of getting them. I don't have a "vision" for color, or cuts, or how a separate piece would fit within my closet.

So I went to see Milena. First of all, she gave me some homework. I was supposed to go through a magazine and pull out looks that I loved and that I hated. I also had to answer questions about my current style. What do I wear to work? What do I wear casually? How much do I typically spend? What are looks and/or pieces that I'd like to strive for?

The homework was hard. It's difficult to look at yourself objectively. Basically, the answer for my current wardrobe is: Ratty jeans, beat up heels, and a cotton shirt. Ouch.

All in all, the consultation was amazing and fabulous and informative. What fascinated me the most is learning about my colors. I look best in warm colors---darker and slighted muted tones. I also learned that I basically look good in anything that is green, yellow, orange (I never would've thought of yellow or orange!), beige or ivory, and blue (everyone looks good in blue). Also, harsh colors such as black and white aren't the best for me. Considering that half my closet is those two colors, I have my work cut out for me.

We also went over hair, makeup (Milena recommended "espresso" eyeliner to make my green eyes pop---and, of course, she was right!), height and proportions, and even recommended brands and cuts that are good for me. Since I'm bustier than a lot of women, I need to look at v-necks and boat necks. High necklines will just make me look top-heavy.

New rules that I love:

1.) Look for 3-pieces to complete your outfit (at a minimum). For example, today I'm wearing a ruffled tank top, a ruffled button up western-style shirt, and knee-high brown boots with skinny jeans. I never would've paired the two ruffled pieces before, but the textures make a huge difference!

Trying to be stylish with ruffles! (P.S. What in the world am I looking at?) 

1. ) Always go shopping for a complete outfit. This includes a skirt, top, and heels or a necklace/accessory. You think you have eight tops at home that "might" work, but they never look quite right and your new skirt goes unworn.

3.) Only shop about twice a year. Be sure to pick items that are easily interchangeable amongst each other. Budget shopping and sales rarely work. (Thank goodness because I hate budget shopping.)


As soon as Christmas is over, I'm dragging my friend Emily out to hit Nordstrom's with me. Woot, woot!

Here are some new styles that I was able to pull from MarieClaire.com. It's amazing how I can look at these pictures with a discerning eye now. Exciting!


I should look for angled designs and lower-neck tops.
Here's an example of another angled skirt. Paired with a solid, colorful top it could look great.

Suit jacket with green cami underneath.

I love this bag. I would just stroke the soft leather for days.

This is something that wouldn't work for me. Flowy or circular patters are not good, and the red isn't my color.

Now this is something that would work! I don't own any orange right now, but this outfit is definitely something I'll be looking for.

Gold jewelry looks better on me than silver. In fact, in the "color analysis" I learned that silver and grey (the other half of my wardrobe) completely wash me out and make me look sallow. Note to self.

Pretty ivory skirt in a sophisticated cut.

A little summer blazer to show off my ripped arms. Hah!

This is something I wouldn't be caught dead in. Seriously.

Structured camel trousers.

You can't go wrong with a pencil skirt.

This is a pretty notebook. Like the purse pictured earlier, I love the classic leather.

Statement necklaces can be an outfit in and of themselves. In the summer, jeans, a white tank top, and a statement necklace can say a lot.
This is a jacket that would not look good on me. The silver color and shine, the high neckline, and puffy sleeves all would be a bad combination.

Yes, tan/brown can be sophisticated.


I love my current Tissot watch, but this pretty number also caught my eye. Too bad it's $1,700!

Yellow is another color that I don't have in my closet, but that would look great on me. This dress would be great both in and out of the office.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Claire! So, I am a stalker and found your blog through Angie's...and now I have to know, where did you find a style consultant? I am in the same boat and was just telling my mom how much I need help with some style....... P.S. I too, would never have paired ruffles with ruffles, but they looked lovely on you!

    Hope you're well!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelsea!
    I'm so glad you've found me. I loved and adored the style consultation. I can already tell a difference in how I approach both my existing wardrobe and future shopping. I went to Milena Joy, who is based out of Denver. Her website is here: http://www.milenaconsulting.com/. I believe I have a coupon somewhere, so if you decide to go forward then let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh yes! I'm definitely going to do it--let me know if you do find that coupon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my; I didn't know anyone read my blog!

    Hm, Claire, I'm pretty sure I told you one time that I watch people when I'm out and pick things they're wearing that I like. That's kind of the same thing as the magazine, right? Maybe I should be a style consultant? I do dress all of my sisters on a regular basis...ha. Right.

    My trouble with style lately is that I have no intention of being stylish while working outside, and working outside saps me of the energy to be stylish when I'm not working. Le sigh.

    Lately I've been loving on Kate Middleton's wardrobe, though (the future princess of Britain, not the one we actually know :D). Check out this outfit, especially the ankle boots. Also, coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I do LOVE her wardrobe---I guess I just need to become a princess............

    ReplyDelete