Thursday, July 12, 2012

Bicycles... and life

About a month ago I bought a brand-new bicycle. It was pretty and shiny and expensive. 

My new Trek 7.3 FX
Remember when you first learned to ride a bicycle? That sense of freedom it gave? That’s how I felt with my new bicycle. Since I was no longer living downtown, I was restricted to the trains and buses---which were sometimes a huge pain. If I had a late soccer match, I would spend more time on three busses just trying to get home than I did playing the game!

I loved my bike. It was great. And then I locked it up outside my apartment rather than bringing it up two flights of stairs. (Note: want a lesson in physics? Try carrying a bike up flights of a winding stairwell) My bike got stolen. I only had it for three weeks.

Want to know the saddest website in the world? The Chicago Stolen Bike Registry. Some of these people had their bikes for only a few days before they were stolen!
The theft bothered me, but everyone's self blame bothered me the most. I met up with a group trying to track down our stolen bikes and everyone in that group had locked up their bike. But everyone still said, “It’s my fault that the bike was stolen.” We all had excuses: We had either left it in an alley, or left it outside, or it only had one lock on it instead of three…

NO! If you locked up your bike, it’s not your fault! You didn’t steal your own bike. It bothers me how we all instantly blamed ourselves when it’s the crime that’s the problem.
There should be a special place in hell reserved for bike thieves. 
The good news is that my friend Sean and I went Craigslist hunting (I HATE Craigslist, but that’s a rant for another day) and I found a new, better bike!


My new bike is a road bike---something I thought I was never “good enough” to be able to ride. Turns out that they’re just like every other bike. You just hop on and enjoy yourself!
Here’s a picture of my new baby:
Women's Cannondale Synapse 7

Maybe the new bike is a blessing in disguise since it works much better for my needs, but I still wish I wasn’t out $800 in the process. Stupid thieves.



1 comment:

  1. Biking's awesome! I get that feeling everytime I have a month+ lag between bike rides... and I've been meaning to write a post about it too... I was biking to work before I decided it wasn't helping my foot heal.

    ReplyDelete