Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sailing

One of my primary goals when I moved to Chicago was to go sailing on Lake Michigan. I’m very happy to say that I scratched this off my list last Monday!

The experience was... AMAZING. The night couldn’t have been better! It was in the 80s with a breeze from the south. In our captain’s words, it was a “powder day” for sailing.

Our instructor's name was Captain Kirk (insert Star Trek joke here). He has been sailing since he was a boy and currently owns a sailboat with a partner. He spends his summers sailing on Lake Michigan and his winters being a ski bunny in Colorado. Must be nice! In any case, he was wonderful. His love and enthusiasm for being out on the water was contagious. We all got a chance at the helm and practice turns since sailing is really all about geometry.

I grew up with motorboats so the first thing I noticed once we turned off the engine was the silence. It is just you and the boat gracefully cutting through the water. Absolutely beautiful.

We were also blessed with an incredible sunset. One of the best I’ve seen in Chicago! I grabbed a million pictures, but below are just a few.

Sailing is expensive. Very expensive. When I saw the Groupon for sailing lessons over the winter I jumped on it. I’d love, love, love to get out on the water again, but at $250+/lesson I think I’ll be waiting a while. Where’s that money tree? Or money mast, perhaps.










No comments:

Post a Comment