Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Priorities



I’m trying to figure some things out. Like, you know, life...

First of all, I’m determined to have more free time. Determined. And yet, if I have too much time on my hands I get bored. Last night I went home early, blissfully read an entire book and then went to bed. And now I feel guilty for being so unproductive.

So today I’m asking myself one question:

How do you prioritize and still not worry about the small things?

Here are the things I want to focus on, in no particular order. The point is, as a matter of fact, to actually get these things in some kind of order:

- Work
Ugh. No comment.

- Soccer
I’m giving up two of my three indoor teams. Decision made. I’m doing it. I’m not playing well and I just need a break. And yes, it will be that hard to walk away, even for a season or two.

- Running
My goal is to run another half marathon this summer and even, ideally, a full marathon. To be honest, a dream of mine is to take a trip to Montana and run in the gorgeous scenery. How cool would that be?
Montana marathons
Colorado marathons
Marathon training (gulp!)

- Reading and Studying
I work in publishing, yes, but I could always improve my grammar and copyediting skills. I’d also like to seriously study for the GRE (even though I can’t afford grad school and the thought of taking on loans scares me to death).

- Yoga, Skiing, Hiking... Anything Outdoors
I can’t sit cross-legged and I’m better at water skiing than I am at snow skiing, but still. I live in the mecca of outdoor sports and I love them!

- Cooking
I’m slowly getting better at cooking as I try new recipes, but it takes time, commitment, and money.

As you can see, I love hobbies. I support hobbies. They keep you sane and stable.

So how do I find the balance again? Where do I prioritize?

Where do I even begin?

*****

Update on “The Goal”:
I’m off target this week and it’s only Tuesday. I’m having trouble concentrating (obviously) so we'll see how things develop.

2 comments:

  1. So I stumbled upon your blog and then followed your link to the "marathon training" site and have proceeded to spend the next hour studying it instead of working on my final due tomorrow morning. Thanks. Oh, and I now think I'm going to go on an early morning run tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommate's got a rice cooker, but I haven't really taken the 5 minutes required to learn it yet...I'm definitely down for a few more races, so while I may appear to be reluctant, it's because I'm kindof injury prone (I'm bad a training consistently but when I do, I tend to myself too hard and end up getting injured). BUT, I'm hoping if I train a bit smarter, stretch, eat right, stretch, start running consistently, stretch, and stretch, I should be ok. Today's 6 mile run felt awesome, so I'm pretty optimistic.
    I discovered the Boulder Half marathon on sunday, and it definitely caught my eye...shoot me an email: sotola at colorado dot edu.
    Oh, and if you're feeling another spinning class, I'll heading over to one tomorrow at 6:30 am. Let me know if you want to join in, I've got 1 guest pass per month that I haven't used. If not, there's also a Thursday morning 6:30 am class...I've been trying to go to both, but had class/finals last week and missed one of them.

    ReplyDelete