Sunday, February 5, 2012

Two Things I Will Never Buy Again

There are two things that I will never buy pre-made from the grocery store again. Ever.

1. Croutons
2. Granola

I've already talked about how amazing homemade croutons are, but today I also made granola and It. Is. Awesome! It's so simple and easy, I can't believe that I was paying $5/bag of store-bought granola before this.


I got my crouton recipe from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. All it takes is some french bread, olive oil, and whatever seasonings and spices suit your fancy. Today I kept it simple and cubed a half-loaf of wheat french bread, drizzled it with olive oil and garlic salt, and threw the pan in a 300-degree oven for about 20 minutes. Stir it around a little bit while baking. Happiness is the result.


As for the granola, I bought my ingredients based on a recipe I found in a magazine but then I threw away my magazine (silly me!) and had to piece it together based on other online recipes. It worked well! You can also throw anything and everything into granola. This mix contains:

Rolled oats
Wheat germ
Sliced almonds
Shelled sunflower seeds
Pure agave

Basically, go to the Whole Foods bins and bag up anything and everything you want to bake together.

On your next Sunday afternoon, set aside some time, throw on your favorite tunes, and bake some croutons and granola for the work week ahead. So much better than the stale and bitter store-bought options! I'm never going back. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment