Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Work for A Scholarly Publisher

My chosen profession means that I read quick, easy, and fun novels in my spare time. Thought-provoking? Educational? Pfffffft.

The book that I loved and am now telling everyone to read is Got Fight? by Forrest Griffin. This is an often crude and therefore hilarious account of fighting---and of life in general. Because of this book, I've also been obsessed with watching reruns of The Ultimate Fighter. I'm insane---it makes life more fun.

Seriously, read the book. And then recommend it to everyone you know. (This was a NYTimes best seller, so I'm not as crazy as you think.)



The other book I've read within the last two weeks is Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. This book is like the Twilight series for housewifes. Seriously. Poor writing but entertaining as hell. A teenage girl wishing for escape through fictionalized love = Twilight. A middle-aged housewife wishing for escape through fictionalized travel and therefore finding love = Eat, Pray, Love. Both frustrating books and yet you can't put them down. Though I have to admit, I'll probably see the movie. I like Julia Roberts. (Side note: In googling the movie, I realized the website address is http://www.letyourselfgo.com/. I think I may throw up now.)



On my plate now is a book that my friend sent from Texas: Men and Dogs by Katie Crouch. I love my friend and we have so very much in common... and yet I suffer through every book she sends me. Seriously, what is this girl thinking when she reads these things? Our difference in reading materials is amusing, actually. Everyone has their preferred books, their preferred movies, their favorite songs. But because your opinion doesn't match mine, it means that I'm smarter than you are, obviously. You remember that.



Reading is fun.

1 comment:

  1. Claire - learned a long time ago that you can't give people books as gifts...it just never quite works out, but people do it all the time.

    I'm with you on the guilty pleasures though...I just tore through Steroid Nation. Got Fight could be next. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete