Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Book Review: The Big Sleep



For book club we recently read The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. Published in 1939, It is considered one of the classic murder-mystery novels.

This book was my choice. I chose it mostly because I looooove Humphrey Bogart in the movie adaptation and I wanted an excuse to watch the movie again. If you haven't seen the movie, watch it. Watch it now. The Big Sleep isn't on Netflix (WTF, Netflix?!?) but it is available to "rent" on Amazon for $2.99. The link is here. And no, your tv/computer/iPad isn't broken---the movie is in black and white.

I liked the book. I thought it was well done. This is saying a lot because I typically don't like mysteries. I often find the plot too complicated and way over my head. Then I feel like a big dummy. I may be a big dummy, but authors, please don't make your readers feel like dummies.

Chandler was very descriptive, which I like. I like being able to picture the whole room, the developing scene, and the people within it. However, there was a tendency to be slightly too descriptive. Phillip Marlowe was looking through his mail---specifically, two pieces of junk mail. Is that pertinent to the story or case? No? Then leave out the junk mail part, please.

The book was good, but I actually liked the movie adaptation better (gasp!!!). Besides my love for Humphrey Bogart, I think the script pulled out the best parts of the plot, played up the love story, and let the weird parts slip away peacefully. Thank you, William Faulkner (famous American writer and the film's screenwriter)! You're the best!

There were a few lines in the book that I loved. Great writing, very intimate, and straight to the point.
Dead men are heavier than broken hearts.
So I got out my office bottle and took the drink and let my self respect ride its own race.
You can have a hangover from other things than alcohol. I had one from women.
Sexy and yet oh, so cool.

For next month's book club we're changing gears and reading What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment